06 June, 2009

The Longest Day

Sixty-five years a go today, thousands of men were in small landing crafts in the English Channel off the Normandy coast of France, waiting for the command to commence the invasion of France. Among them were the men of the 65th Armored Filed Artillery Battalion. This group of men were not green to battle, they had cut their 'battle teeth' in the desert of North Africa, honed their skills in Sicily and now they were asked to put all this knowledge to the test.

Among those of the 65th, was a 29 year old man, Sgt. Wilkie Dee Galbraith, my hero, my Dad.

It can not be over stated what happened on June 6, 1944, the largest military invasion in history. For 'Many men went there as soldiers; many men past that way. Many men counted the hours as they lived the Longest Day. Many men did not see the sunset, when the Longest Day ended. Many men where there to stay.'

I feel for reasons unknown to me, that Dad was saved for me so he could be my Dad. My brothers might also agree. Dad wrote: "I have had prayers answered before the wink of the eye, so I know that prayers are answered and that there is a Father in Heaven."

Dad landed on Utah Beach, watched men die in front of him that day. He himself was blown from a half- track, causing him to have whiplash, yet he did his duty to repair tanks so they could get off the beach and into the French Countryside. "I was the only mechanic in the Battalion " wrote Dad "I took my toolbox (which weighed fifty pounds.) in my arms and started for the tank 100 feet away. hearing an incoming shell, I fell flat on my face. I laid there for a moment then I heard it make it's mark. When I arrived at the tank,I found laying at the rear of the tank, Sgt. Herman Strevell, who was in charge of the tank, cut nearly in half, dead. I repaired the tank..."

Dad summed up the war this way "As it has been said, 'War is hell.' At times you can't think back only forward...we acquire a certain trait in the fear of death or in being 'scared to death'."

So today June 6th 2009, I pause to remember my hero, who sixty-five years ago faced his own mortality, went forward in fear, having faith in his Father in Heaven to do his duty as a Solider in the United States Army. To him and to all those who passed that way on the beaches of Normandy may we remember them, may we never forget.

Dad you are my hero, my soldier. you were saved to come home from the war to be my father. No other man on earth would I rather have for a Father than you! I miss you.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for sharing that Uncle Rue. My kids loved looking at his picture. I've never really seen pictures of him before, so it was fun to study his face. I can see Uncle Chris. I also loved reading his account of things. So interesting!

Anonymous said...

thanks for being the family historian! I know so little about Grandpa G. I appreciate you sharing your stories!!

Rex G said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I can't wait until Mia is big enough and I can explain to her what a great man her great grandfather was.

Sean said...

Great post. Thanks for giving us some Grandpa G. memories. Awesome stuff. We want more stories if you got 'em.